It Started with a Potato


My boys love potatoes. Roasted, mashed, waffle-iron-hash-browns, pan-seared. But I think their favorite version is my take on potato skins. First, I roast Yukon gold potatoes until tender. See that little slice in the top? I make that slice before baking them, directly on the oven rack, 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Once they're cool enough to handle, I scoop out the inside with a fork and sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese in each half. Another 10 minutes at 400 degrees, and you've got cheesy potatoes - creamy in the middle, crisp on the outside. You can make this your own way this weekend - add sour cream, bacon bits and chopped green onions if you want them restaurant-style. Season the potatoes with smoked paprika and then sprinkle with parsley for a fancier version. It's all good..

Oh, and I don't waste the scooped-out filling either. I mash it up with butter and herbs and serve that too!

 

Comments