Waffle Iron Latkes!

 

Last week I heard about a waffle iron "hack", a way to use the iron to make hash browns. Since we love hash browns in our house, I HAD to try it (especially because I don't relish the thought of standing at the stove for 20 minutes). Oh my... it works amazingly! And it's so simple. Shredded Yukon golds, tossed with a drizzle of olive oil and then seasoned with salt and pepper are nestled into the waffle iron and the lid is closed. In about 10 minutes (that's for MY waffle iron, yours might be hotter), the potatoes are tender on the inside and golden brown and crispy on the outside. It's truly magical. Oh, and they contain virtually NO fat.

Since then, I've made them 3 times already! And, that got me thinking. Tomorrow is Passover and many folks will be serving traditional latkes. Those of you that want to streamline the prep and keep your stove-top clear, use your waffle iron! Simply made your latkes as usual (shredded potatoes, onion, egg, salt, pepper) and cook them in batches in the waffle iron (start checking the latkes after about 5 minutes until you figure out how hot your iron is). Keep the latkes warm (on foil) in a 250 degree oven until ready to serve.

Have fun and let me know how it turns out! 

Comments