French Toast Fabulous



 

Confession time: One weekend, when my boys were little and we were visiting my in-laws, I tried those boxed French Toast Sticks. Yes, the processed, frozen variety sold in every major grocery store. They're not the worst item in the market, but they're not the healthiest either. One weekend isn't bad, but my boys got hooked and I kept buying them once we got home! And I'm talking for, like, a YEAR! Until I snapped and said to myself, "Really? You can't make French Toast? You write recipes!". I realized, too, that it's not just the cinnamon-spiked, tender bread with the sugary coating, it's the "sticks" they can pick up with their hands to dunk in the maple syrup. I figured I'd post this recipe on a Friday so you're all set come Saturday morning...

Oh, and this recipe is from my latest cookbook, Robin Takes 5 for Busy Families and there's an entire chapter dedicated to breakfast (all recipes with 5 ingredients or less). Here it is on Amazon 

French Toast “Sticks” with Maple & Cinnamon

The egg mixture can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated until ready to make the French toast. You can also soak the bread in the egg mixture for up to 12 hours (prep the night before and breakfast will be a snap).

This homemade breakfast is much healthier than the processed frozen variety. Plus, you can use your favorite bread, including gluten free varieties (cinnamon-raisin bread is great too).

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4-6 minutes

1 cup low-fat milk or vanilla soy milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup, plus more as desired for dipping
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices whole wheat bread
Cooking spray

In a large shallow dish, whisk together the milk, eggs, maple syrup and cinnamon. Add the bread slices, flip to coat both sides of bread and let stand for 10 minutes to allow bread to soak up the milk mixture (you may let the bread soak up to 12 hours, refrigerated).
Coat a large griddle or skillet with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high. Add the bread slices and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until the egg is cooked. Cut each bread slice into 4 strips and serve with additional maple syrup if desired.

Serves 4

Comments