Butterscotch Poke Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache

Tender yellow cake, poked all over, and filled with butterscotch pudding. That would be enough for most people. BUT WAIT! That's a fudgy chocolate ganache on top! That combination of yellow cake, creamy butterscotch pudding and chocolate... Words can't. 
And, get this - I used a boxed cake mix! Don't judge. Yes, I'm a food writer, but (truth is) I wanted to get to the poking fun faster. You can certainly make a cake from scratch (and if you do, I recommend my Moist Vanilla Cake), but I think you'll adore this combination of moist yellow cake, butterscotch pudding, and my rich chocolate ganache. 

This cake is crazy good - but it got me thinking... Imagine all the OTHER filling options we could try: chocolate/vanilla/lemon/banana cream pie pudding, tapioca, hazelnut spread, cookie butter, fruit jam... 


About cake mix: Most cake mixes call for water, eggs and oil. I don't make them that way. I replace the water with milk or half & half, I replace the oil with melted butter, and I always add vanilla extract. But that's me. 


Butterscotch Poke Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache


1 yellow cake mix (for one 9x13-inch cake), plus required ingredients (see my note above)

Cooking spray
2 containers butterscotch pudding (snack-size 3.75-ounce)
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Prepare the cake according to the package directions, using a 9x13-inch pan. 

Cool the cake for 15 to 20 minutes before poking
Use the bottom of a wooden spoon or spatula to poke several holes in the cake. 
Fill the holes with the pudding, and spread the pudding all over the top. Smooth the surface.
Meanwhile, to make the ganache, bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. 
Place the chocolate chips in a bowl. 
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for 10 minutes - WITHOUT STIRRING. 
After 10 minutes, stir until the chocolate is incorporated and fully melted; the mixture should be smooth. Cool for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, until the mixture starts to firm up. 
Use a mixer to beat the ganache into a fluffy icing. 
Spread the icing all over the cake and go to town! 

Makes 1 cake, 9x13 inches (serves 24)

Comments